A personal note from Karen Saunders, BFA
Project Manager & Creative Director
“I’ll guide you on the path to self-publish your book or brand and market your new speaking or consulting business”
This is what I love to do! I show up to work every day knowing I’m going to help an author self-publish a book. Or that I’m helping a new professional speaker, corporate consultant, or business coach begin an exciting career.
I know this is my calling. This was reinforced by a walk down memory lane.
Not long ago, I opened a dusty suitcase stored at my parent’s house, which contained long-forgotten school projects. Imagine my surprise and delight as I unearthed several grade-school reports complete with illustrations and diagrams – my early attempt to create professional books! My discovery confirmed what I already knew, “I was born to do this!”
Since I have self-published my own book, I know the many choices – and potential pitfalls –that authors face. Plus, as a small business owner, I thoroughly understand the importance and challenge of creating an on-target brand, a hardworking website, and a compelling marketing toolkit that promotes your business and makes the sale.
I take pride in guiding my clients. And I promise to help you make the best choices along the way.
In short, whether you are an author and self-publisher or a professional speaker, corporate consultant, or business coach, my team and I will guide you through each step to self-publish your book or brand and market your new business.
As your project manager and creative director, my job is to guide you through the process – and help to prevent costly missteps. After all, it’s what I love to do!
In 1990, Karen Saunders founded her Colorado-based graphic design firm, MacGraphics Services. Now, as the leader of a dynamic team of professionals, her company – Karen Saunders & Associates, at MacGraphics – provides one-stop shopping for authors, self-publishers, professional speakers, corporate consultants, business coaches, and other small business owners.
Karen and her team have contributed to the success of over 50 award-winning books including one project that earned the Writer’s Digest “Grand Prize” for the best self-published book in America. In workshops and webinars, Karen shares her expertise on branding, self-publishing, design, and marketing with students and businesspeople alike.
An avid sports enthusiast, Karen enjoys the thrill and challenge of windsurfing, waterskiing, snow skiing, and playing volleyball. When she is not riding bikes and golfing with Tom, her husband of 27 years, they enjoy spending time in their camper under the Colorado stars with their two yellow labs, Parker and Brady.
Education, recognitions, and professional memberships
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in graphic design from Western Michigan University, 1982
- Founded MacGraphics Services in 1990
- Authored and published Turn Eye Appeal into Buy Appeal, which won a CIPA EVVY “Best of Show” book award and an APEX Award for “Web and Electronic Publications”; also selected as a curriculum text for AssistU.com for training virtual assistants worldwide
- Created the design and layout of multiple 1,200-page proposals for the environmental engineering corporation, CH2M Hill
- Taught desktop publishing at the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design and the Community College of Denver’s continuing education program
- Board member of Colorado Independent Publishers Association (CIPA) for 3 years
- Won First-Place and Second-Place awards for book cover design and interior layout design
- Published numerous articles in print and online trade publications including a monthly column for NBIZ magazine
- Presented numerous workshops on branding, self-publishing, design, and marketing
- On a personal note: Got a hole-in-one golfing and won an award for top speed in a windsurfing competition!